Saturday, July 31, 2010

the Country, I mean Village life…

The day before yesterday I had ants crawling in my pants, or in my bed rather, yesterday night, while in the outhouse, I was greeted by a cockroach, and today, a snake was found upstairs in my room. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow’s creepy crawler will be. lol.

It’s so funny. All these things that I would normally find incredibly scary and spazz out about, I’m dealing with. I am by no means in the running to compete on Fear Factor, but the fact that none of it is really phasing me, is quite an accomplishment. I guess knowing that my dad’s not there to kill the spider or spray for bugs has forced me to deal. I have yet to encounter a really big spider though, in which case I might run in circles on top of my bed, and scream like the girly girl I’m trying my best to suppress.

On another note, I went to the neighbor’s today to talk and drink cold coffee. That is the extent of physical activity done by me during the day, beings that it’s balls hot between the hours of 10 and 6. So, I walked over to the neighbors with my host mom and host sister and we began discussing the difference between America and Georgia.

It all started with a discussion about how in America, I lived away from my parents. Obviously, it’s completely different here (as explained in previous post). They then began questioning me about living on my own, having a job, and paying for school. My Georgian friends, and I’m sure many other people, believed that Americans get their college paid for. Trying to explain student loans and debt was quite a fete. But then came the inevitable question of if I was married. My normal reaction of laughter was followed by them questioning me about my job in the States. I explained to them that I loved working and I liked having a job. My host mom then started speaking very quickly and from what I got from the conversation she was telling them that I was such a hard worker. “She’s always reading, she’s always writing, she’s typing away on the computer, and she helps with the housework.” Now, in America, me reading for fun and facebook-ing all day doesn’t constitute working, but here apparently it’s a task. It’s funny that they seem to think that all I do is work, but in reality all I want to do is work. I think the expression that we have is that Americans  “Live to Work” while others “Work to Live”  Granted, this probably sounds so insensitive, but it’s true. I’m not good at sitting around doing nothing, that is if there’s not a TV and air conditioning present. A lot of us are very lucky though, that we can just sit around when we want and go work when we want or need. They then said that if I married a Georgian man, the man could work, though it has been my observation that the women work far more than the men. I tried to be as diplomatic as possible when I said “I would make a horrible wife.” When asked why, I explained that I don’t like  to clean and I don’t cook all the time, etc. I think they saw through the diversion and my host mom ask if American men help around the house. Now, I am well aware that all American don’t, but I do know that my dad is one of the best cooks I know and he does the dishes quite frequently, so that was was I said. Of course, when I was little my mom stayed home and did most of the cooking and cleaning, but my dad really did pitch in a lot. It’s just so very different all over the world.

I would continue this post, but it’s entirely too hot upstairs in my room and I’m getting hungry.

Oh and by the way, the creepy crawler of choice last night (3 am) was a moth the size of my fist that was trying to attack me. I spent about an hour trying to kill it and it wouldn’t die, when finally my host mom came upstairs, probably from all the noise, and grabbed it’s wings and set it free. I guess I over estimated my badassness….

No comments:

Post a Comment